Re: Base Isolators

I performed several experimental and analytical reasearch about base isolation systems. So I was envolved in producing these bearings. As far as my concern, lead is used because of excellent behavior in absorbing energy during hysteresis cycles. There is no lubricating effect. Steel plates are used to increase vertical stiffness of rubber bearing. However they can improve rubber behavior by reinforcing. Steel plates preferred to be made from higher grades instead of A36. Rubbers should satisfy several requirements including, but not limited, to stiffness, fatigue, ozone cracking, thermal and chemical resistance. Since base isolators experience high lateral deformations, the bonding between steel and rubber is very important and just this process requires some special properties for base materials. I wrote a book about base isolation systems and I can send you a copy. Let me know if you need more information. Also recently a book by Prof. J. Kelly and Dr. F. Naim is published and it is kind of state of the art.

email: fmtehrani(--nospam--at)hotmail.com

From: Francis.Ang(--nospam--at)toyota.com.ph
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Base Isolators
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:31:18 +0800

I have some questions regarding the typical base isolators. Base Isolators
are
using lead for their core. Any ideas why lead is being used ? Why not steel?
have to admit that I am not familiar with base isolation devices. And the
steel plate between the rubber plate; Are these ordinary steel plates or do
they have some properties that are unique for base isolation devices. The
same question applies to the rubbers.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A. Yango
CE/SE
TMP