Re: Base Isolators

I forgot to add that first rubber bearings that were used around 1967 in Europe, had no reinforcing steel or lead core. There were made from natural rubber. I testes some kind of these bearings and I can say that their behavior is good , but is not excellent and as reliable as modern bearings.
email: fmtehrani(--nospam--at)hotmail.com

From: Francis.Ang(--nospam--at)toyota.com.ph
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Base Isolators
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:31:18 +0800

I have some questions regarding the typical base isolators. Base Isolators
are
using lead for their core. Any ideas why lead is being used ? Why not steel?
have to admit that I am not familiar with base isolation devices. And the
steel plate between the rubber plate; Are these ordinary steel plates or do
they have some properties that are unique for base isolation devices. The
same question applies to the rubbers.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A. Yango
CE/SE
TMP