RE: concrete parapet

I did not keep the entire article so I am not sure, but I don't think that
it was for swimming pools because one of the paragraphs in the part I kept
says "For walls with protection to the weather in the form of exterior earth
fill, the chart will provide reasonable control of cracking. The chart may
not be adequate for structures where the exterior wall surface is fully
exposed to the freeze thaw cycle while the interior surface is maintained at
a reletively constant temperature."  The chart also shows .0018 as the
minimum factor to use in calculating steel area.

ACI 350, a guide for water-tight structures, indicates a minimum factor of
.0028 and for the 60' spacing I mentioned in my earlier message, ACI 350
recommends a factor of .005.

In any event, if this wall is to be exposed to view and if appearance is
important, I would be just as concerned with shrinkage cracks as I would be
in a swimming pool.  They may be even more of a concern. Small cracks in a
pool can be repaired and the repair probably would not be noticeable.  Small
cracks in a concrete parapet will look like large cracks every time they get
wet if the concrete is left exposed.

Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc
205 N. Dewey Street