Re: Near source factor for City of Newpo

FWIW:

The San Fernando EQ occurred on a previously unknown fault.

The Loma Prieta EQ occurred on a previously unknown fault.

The Northridge EQ occurred on a previously unknown fault.

The Landers EQ occurred on a previously unknown fault.

The Big Bear EQ occurred on a previously unknown fault.

The Herman Mine EQ occurred on a previously unknown fault.

There are probably few places in the world where faults are better mapped
than in California.

All of the mentioned earthquakes occurred in California.

If I were in Zone 4 country, I would consider *all* sites as "near source"
sites.  As it is, I am in Seismic Zone 2A (Southern Arizona) but I design to
2B (plus) requirements, but not less than 10% g.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

David Hall wrote:

>>Good question, I have a building that will be constructed in Brookings
Oregon, and I will have to find the same thing.

For those of you who do not know, Oregon adopted the 1997 UBC with Amendments
with one of those being that the coastal are of Southern Oregon Be Zone 4.

I was going to contact SEAOC, but if anyone knows, I would also be interested.

David A. Hall, S.E., P.E.
Senior Structural Engineer
David Evans and Associates, Inc.
2828 SW Corbett Ave