Re: Near source factor for City of Newport, Oregon

Faults Sense of Security for Oregon

If you are doing seismic design work in Oregon you should have:

Geomatrix Consultants (1995). Seismic Design Mapping, State of Oregon:  Prepared for Oregon Department of Transportation, Salem, Oregon,  Personal services contract no. 11688, Project no. 2442, various   pagination, 245p. (probabilistic ground motion maps: 500-yr,   1000-yr, 2500-yr recurrence); which inventoried/assessed faults.

Consult http://geohazards.cr.usgs.gov/eq/html/faults.shtml and browse around site for what you need.

NEHRP 97: FEMA 302 and 303, plus maps

Treat "entire" coast of Oregon as UBC Seismic Zone 4.

James Bela

Oregon Earthquake AwarenessTM        /        The Quake NorthwestTM
"We Have Nothing To Fear But Shear Itself"        /        "We're All Subducting In This Together"

David Hall wrote:

Good question, I have a building that will be constructed in Brookings Oregon, and I will have to find the same thing.

For those of you who do not know, Oregon adopted the 1997 UBC with Amendments with one of those being that the coastal are of Southern Oregon Be Zone 4.

I was going to contact SEAOC, but if anyone knows, I would also be interested.

David A. Hall, S.E., P.E.
Senior Structural Engineer
David Evans and Associates, Inc.
2828 SW Corbett Ave