RE: WHO'S WHO? (Titles mean something!)

This is EXACTLY why specific titles mean something. I don't want to rain on
a person's parade, but if we begin attributing the label "Structural
Engineer" to someone who is not licensed to do such (yeah, I understand the
politics of licensing and am quite certain that there are probably many
great individuals out there that have not taken the SE exam but are more
qualified to design than some who have passed the exam), the qualifications
of the title become fuzzy. When I was an E.I.T., I didn't dream of
presenting myself as a "structural engineer" because I held the title in
such high esteem.

I love structural engineering and am always impressed by the achievements of
my colleagues (many of you have impressed me over and over again with your
posts) and there should be some sort of guideline to allow someone to take
the title SE. Whether we agree with it or not, in California this is allowed
only after passing the SE exam. Maybe there is more that SEAOC or ASCE can
do to improve the reputation of the profession and, yes, there is much that
we need to do ourselves.

We've already had a discussion regarding automation in engineering, pro's
and con's, but I think it serves here as well. SE's understand that this
automation is merely a tool and that our profession requires personal
judgment and artistry, but I think a lot of others (non-engineers) think
they can just buy a program and they've got it handled.

Sorry for the rambling.

Regards,

Dave K. Adams, S.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.