Resultant Seismic Force

Problem:

Vertical cryogenic vessel (tank) on three legs in seismic Zone 4.

Diameter:      4-to-10 feet
Shell height:  10-to-50 feet
Leg height:     about 2 feet

Weight:          15-to-150 kips.

Should the resultant of the seismic force be located at:
a) tank center of gravity; or
b) at 2/3 of the height?

The opinion of fellow professionals is crucial for me making the decision to either accept the method ?a? (customary for the industry), or try to push through method ?b? (as ? in my opinion - more corresponding to the physical nature of the problem).

So, what do you think?

Steve Gordin, S.E.,
Irvine, CA

P.S. Anyway, if we have something as simple as a CMU property wall ? where would you apply the resultant of the seismic force? SG