STRUCTURAL LICENSE REQUIRED ON SIGNIFICANT STRUCTURES IN OREGON

STRUCTURAL LICENSE REQUIRED ON SIGNIFICANT
                             STRUCTURES

On March 17, 1999, House Bill 3144, the structural engineers bill, was introduced and started its
way through the legislative process. On July 15, 1999, Governor Kitzhaber signed the measure into
law. Effective October 23, 1999, an engineer must be registered as a professional structural
engineer in order to provide structural engineering services for "significant structures" as defined in
the bill. The measure also requires OSBEELS to adopt rules: 1) establishing standards of
competence in structural engineering analysis and design relating to seismic influence, and 2)
providing for the certification of currently licensed individuals to add the structural branch without
examination based on prior practice related to significant structures.

Efforts will be made by OSBEELS to adopt temporary rules at its regular meeting on September
14, 1999, in order to accommodate the prior practice provision in the adopted bill. The temporary
rules will be an interim measure and will be replaced with permanent rules developed through the
hearing process. Hearing and adoption of permanent rules could take place during the regular
meeting on November 9, 1999. Watch our web site for details on the experience requirements and
for the specific date the board will begin accepting prior practice applications.

                WEB SITE www.osbeels.org EMAIL osbeels(--nospam--at)osbeels.org

James Bela

Oregon Earthquake AwarenessTM        /        The Quake NorthwestTM
"We Have Nothing To Fear But Shear Itself"        /        "We're All Subducting In This Together"