FEMA 273 and 274

Allan Yango,

To obtain FEMA  273 and 274 in pdf format try the following web site:

http://www.degenkolb.com/ascefema273.html

I previously sent you an email message to introduce you to Jon Heintz, whose
name I misspelled in these message (I really am getting "Old-timers"), but
when I reread your first November 7, 1999  email your cry for "Help!!" and
"Just badly needed"  I went and get the above web site address to send you
earlier than you might have gotten it from Jon Heintz, who is the Web Master
for that web site.

Good luck in the use of FEMA 273 and 274.  If you ever need to use the
provisions in  FEMA 273, Section 2.11.4, Overturning and the Equation (2-15)
and the unnumbered Equation in the side-bar on page 2-38 and are running into
very large uplift and compressive forces at the connection of the structure
to the top of the reinforced concrete foundation and considerably smaller
uplift and compressive forces at the bottom of the foundation at the
foundation-soil interface, then please contact me.

I believe there is a fundamental problem with FEMA 273 and how it attempts to
deal with overturning forces.  Also, there are serious problems  when the
uplift and compressive forces at the top of the foundation are not in
equilibrium with the uplift and compressive forces at the foundation-soil
interface.  In other words,  how do you design a foundation system when the
uplift and compressive forces at the top of the of the foundation and the
uplift and compressive forces at the foundation-soil interface
are not in equilibrium?

If you would like to discuss this serious problem with FEMA 273  and how it
attempts to deal with overturning forces, please contact me.

Frank E. McClure    FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com