Engineer Title ABUSE

Attention   (REAL)   ENGINEERS:

Recently there has been traffic on the SEAINT webserver regarding the use of
the term  Professional, Structural,  Civil Engineer.

We probably can all seen abuses  the term  ENGINEER

We have Sanatation (not Sanitary) Engineers   (Garbage men)
Domestic   Engineers         (maids)
Flat Surface  Engineers ,  also Building Engineers   (Janitor)  see article:
"Abusing Engineers"   AIChE Extra published by AIChE,   Ocober  1995

What others can you name?

More  recently
WEB Engineers

It seems every worker wants to be called an ENGINEER!!

Maybe we (someone) can compile,  assemble   a list of all non-college degreed
engineers

Just today,  (Sunday)  I discoversed  a new term;

KNOWLEDGE ENGINEERS

"Knowledge engineers in demand",  was the caption on a  story, by TECHWATCH
editor,  Bob Weinstein, ,  Career Network Insert,   Section C,  November 7,
1999,    Chicago Sun-Times.

"Knowledge engineers are neither programmers nor engineers. They manage a
companies work flow,  people and data, "   says, Peter Dorfman, product
manager of customer support software company,  ServiceWAare,  Inc,
Parsippany,  N.J.

The article continues;

"Hal Varain, Dean of University of California at Berkeley School of
Information Management and Systems says tiltles such as chief information
officer, knowledge manager and knowledge engineer arose before there were
books and courses describing the actual job function.
.....................................  Information technology companies, tend
to give knowledge engineers star status."

Oh  !!!!!!!!!  by the way  according to the piece,  junior level knowledge
engineers earn about $60,000 a year.  "However, once you become valuable,
your salary increases rapidly. "

Just though you would like to know

Bob  Johnson
NCSEA