Re: Testing of SMRF Joints

PeckDesign(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> According to LA City memo of 8/11/97 I am required to do lab testing of steel
> moment connections used in Special Moment Resisting Frames. Does anyone know
> who does this type of testing, what it costs, and what the standards are? I
> understand that it is possible to use previously tested joints, but this
> joint is a built-up retrofit of an existing weak column and two simply
> supported beam ends. I am pretty sure it is not standard.
>
> Perhaps I should give up and go to an OMRF and take the R increase. Perhaps I
> am not required to do the testing since it is an upgrade (retrofit), even
> though the plan-checker claims that I am.
>
> Thanks in adavance.

AISC has published standards in the current version of its seismic
spec.  Although it has not been adopted, it may be a good place to
start.  Furthermore, the SAC web site and documents might be able to
shed some more light on the requirements.

Best of luck, Jake Watson E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT

P.S. May I suggest you look into the new haunch style connection, it
appears to be an excellent method for retrofits.