From: PeckDesign(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:PeckDesign(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Monday, November 08, 1999 6:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Testing of SMRF Joints

According to LA City memo of 8/11/97 I am required to do lab testing of steel
moment connections used in Special Moment Resisting Frames. Does anyone know
who does this type of testing, what it costs, and what the standards are? I
understand that it is possible to use previously tested joints, but this
joint is a built-up retrofit of an existing weak column and two simply
supported beam ends. I am pretty sure it is not standard.

Perhaps I should give up and go to an OMRF and take the R increase. Perhaps I
am not required to do the testing since it is an upgrade (retrofit), even
though the plan-checker claims that I am.

Thanks in adavance.