Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Re: Wood Vaulted Gable Roof Truss Endwall

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

I would like you to clarify your note here.  I understand it to state you run
a horizontal wall plate and then horizontal/flat bottom trusses.  You would
do this for cathedral type ceilings?  How to you account for the hinge in the
wall where the top plate is horizontal, yet there is no lateral support for
the wall at the joint?

Also, what make a truss a drag truss?  I have never heard that term before. 
Are the web members different from a typical truss?  Do you use a fully
studded end truss?


seaint(--nospam--at) writes:
If the wall is parallel to the truss, I routinely request additional trusses
and have them designed as drag trusses. This makes it much easier to build a
conventional plate and transfer shear through a conventional truss down to
the shearwalls below.
It seems to be worth a few extra dollars to manufacture the trusses special
and to insure their capacity in shear rather than try to panel up a pony
wall or balloon frame - even if the vaults are scissors and you need only a
couple of conventional horizontal bottom chord trusses for the sides of the
vaulted room.
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for. Almost every home with a
sloped roof in my area is done with plated trusses. It is simply more
economical and easier for the contractors to set up.
Dennis S. Wish, PE


Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team

The service mission like-minded Christian organizations
may turn to for technical assistance and know-how.