Re: Anchorage to concrete

A good article on anchorage to concrete was published in Bulding Standards
Magazine,  July/August 1993.  It runs through the whole shear cone area
developement,  including what to do with small edge distances.  If you are
asking about the large 7/8" diameter L-hook or J-hook anchors that are +/- 30"
long,  I have calculated those based upon the minimum developement length in
tension for smooth bar reinforcing per chapter 19 UBC,  not the section on
embedded bolts.

But while were on the subject of bolts,  I have a question on shallow c.i.p.
anchors per section 1632.2 which requires the use of Rp=1.5 versus 3.0 if the
anchor has an embedment depth 8x dia. or less.

If a 3/4" dia anchor is embedded 6" we satisfy this requirement and can use
Rp=3.0 and the connection exceeds our required load.  However in an attempt to
be more conservative in our design we use a 7/8" dia anchor with a 6" embed (
nothing else changes ) are we now forced to use the Rp=1.5 and the anchor no
longer meets our required load which has just doubled due to Rp=1.5 .

Robert Shaffer,  P.E.
Santa Cruz,  CA