RE: REBARS : ASTM A 615 GRADE 60

Christopher,

Do you know where I can read about that incident, or at least remember the
building?  I'm interested in this thread, and I also live in the Mpls. area.

Regards,

Ed Fasula EIT

All rebar is weldable if you know the chemical properties and use the right
procedures.

You might want to distinguish between melting two pieces of metal so they
stick to each other and a sound metallurgical bond which allows the items to
resist service loads in a safe, predictable fashion. Some years ago the
distinction was made very clear in downtown Minneapolis when some 'welded'
rebar in a parking ramp let go and dropped a portion of the top floor right
straight to the ground. Very graphic illuatration of why the pressure vessel
and piping codes prohibit welding for steel with a carbon content above
0.35%.