Pole Embedment-One More Question

Mr. Greenlaw:
Thanks for your response.  I failed to include one more question in my
earlier post.

One other footnote to Table 29-B (18-B in later versions of UBC) indicates
that the sliding resistance (subject to some maximum value) may be combined
with lateral bearing.  If I decide to take advantage of this provision, how
can I apply it?  Can I subtract the sliding resistance from 'P' in the
formula for 'A'?  That is, is the following formula valid?

    A = (2.34*(P-Sliding Resistance))/(S1 * b)

Thanks in advance.

Raj.