RE: International Conference on Vibrations

I can't make it to the conference on vibration, but that brings up some
questions I have struggled with:

1. Are there any rules of thumb on when a structural vibration analysis
needs to be done or can be waived, say for a steel support frame, based on
readily available equipment data?  (equipment weight, RPM, centrifugal vs
reciprocating, etc).  Typically I don't know the "disturbing force"
magnitude, amplitude, etc.  And it is usually quite difficult to achieve
required stiffness to provide a high natural frequency of a support for
rotating equipment.  When can design be based on an increased load (such as
impact percentages per AISC for supports for machinery) in lieu of a
frequency analysis?

2. Does vibration excite all vibration modes/directions or only directions
associated with the direction of the disturbing force?  For centrifugal
equipment (pumps, fans, etc), must vibration be considered on all principal
axes, i.e. vertical and two lateral directions for a support frame?

I am currently working on the vibration analysis for a steel support frame
for some vertical turbine pumps and have pondered the above questions.  A
vibration analysis appears reasonable for this case as the pumps are fairly
heavy, but I haven't come across any good published rules of thumb for the
above questions.