Re: Crane Runway Earthquake Loads - Urgent !

>In order to design a Crane Runway I need to include the Earthquake load
>among other loads.
>
>Particulary, I need to know how much of the lateral  force I must consider
>in one side ( 50 %  or 100 % ).  I suppose it depend on the vertical
>aceleration and the wheel system.
You might want to check the list archives--this topic was discussed last
March. Usually the crane is less than 10% of the building mass so all you
really need is some notion of accelerations to expect at the level where
the crane is mounted. Ground acceleration is not much good. Ideally you
should have a floor response spectrum. I feel pretty strongly that you
should assess the crane dynamically--it doesn't respond much like a
building so the pseudo-static method won't be right. There's pretty good
evidence that it's not only not right, it's unconservative. A response
spectrum analysis will also give you accurate loads for the supporting
structure.

You'll also want to be careful that you've considered the possibility of
uplift and sliding. Typically wheel loads are carried by one rail or the
other, not both, because the wheel flanges only engage the rail on one
side at a time. And be certain you address uplift to keep the machine on
the rails.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw