From: "Jeff Smith" <smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: drift calculation, 1997 UBC using ASD

Can anyone help me out in understanding the drift requirements for OMRF
steel frames or braced frames using ASD (3 story wood frame residence)?

It seems to me that you have to use Strength Design load combinations to
determine delta s. Do I *have* to use strength design to determine drift
allowables and requirements and if so it seems there is no sense using ASD?
(Maybe this is what the code writers wanted). Am I the only one confused?

Jeff