From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 12:23 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: engineering software

Lyudmila:

I would recommend RAMsteel, RISA-3D (new 32-bit Windows version), and Visual
Analysis for steel frame analysis and design.  For steel detailing, you
might try DESCON Beam-Column and DESCON Brace.

We also have multiple STAAD licenses, but stopped using the software a
couple of years ago and intentionally let the maintenance agreements lapse.
If anyone out there has any creative ideas for the re-use for those hardware
locks (dominoes, for example), I would be interested in knowing them!

We do not have any Eaglepoint products, but I can tell you that they are
certainly the most persistent marketers that we have yet encountered!

Very recently, RAM started marketing a general-purpose FEA program which
looks like a clone of Avansse's AVwin98 (freeware) program.  Does anyone
have any thoughts on this?

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas