Re: To Mr. Greenlaw

Mr. Greenlaw:

Thanks again.  However, I believe I did not state my problem with better
clarity.  I have the sign post pole embedded in 5' dia X 12' deep concrete
below grade.  For this scenario, can I take advantage of sliding resistance
available at the base of the concrete?  In other words, can I subtract the
sliding resistance from 'P' to calculate 'A' required?  While it may be
conservative to ignore the contribution from sliding resistance, neglecting
it may make the solution overly conservative.

Considering that the lateral resistance and the sliding resistance act on
entirely different planes, I am surprised that UBC does not have a different
set of formula for cases where sliding resistance can be taken advantage of.

Raj.