From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 9:18 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: engineering software

Dave:

If a company has no intention of ever using a software program again, it
makes no sense to continue paying for it.  Basically, I encountered a near
mutiny.  Either we discontinued using STAAD, or all of my engineers were
going to quit.  Essentially, there were three issues:

1.  Does the software perform as advertised and give reliable results?

2.  Is the technical support useful, or merely rude?

3.  How many times a day should an engineer have to reboot his/her PC due to
a crash?

STAAD was sacrificed in favor of keeping the engineers.  That is about as
specific as I care to be on this forum.  As a group, we are very pleased
with the software that I recommended earlier today, as well as with a number
of other programs.

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas