RE: engineering software

>How many software vendors can keep upgrading their
>software to meet the future techniques?
I'd be very pleased if developers would leave computer technology alone
for however long it takes to come up with readable docs, bug-free
operation, features that actually work and the QA program to back it up,
support staff that knows engineering and a user interface that doesn't
suck.

I think the emphasis on whizzy computer science is vastly overrated; the
real cost of computer tools, especially FEA, is debugging a model and
interpretation, not solution time. Saving me 50% of the solution time is
trivial compared to the time it takes be to verify that a model is
providing me with accurate, relevant results. To go further, the move
toward faster machinery and greater storage capacity seems to encourage a
sloppy approach to problem solving and less reliance on first principles.
It also gets newbies in over their heads much faster.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw