Re: damage to buildings from nearby quarry blasting

Steve,

In addition to Prof. Dowding's book (CONSTRUCTION VIBRATIONS) that John
Schenne mentioned, here are a few more references that might be of some
help.  Some of these reports are old but the information is still good as
far as I know.

1. H. R. Nicholls, C. F. Johnson and W. I. Duvall, BLASTING VIBRATIONS AND
THEIR EFFECTS ON STRUCTURES, Bulletin 656, US Dept. of Interior, Bureau of
Mines, 1971.

2. ASCE, A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF STRUCTURAL RESPONSE TO EXPLOSION INDUCED
GROUND MOTIONS, American Society of Civil Engineers, NY, NY, 1975.

3. ASCE, A STUDY OF DAMAGE TO A RESIDENTIAL STRUCTURE FROM BLAST
VIBRATIONS, American Society of Civil Engineers, NY, NY, 1974.

4. D. E. Siskind, et. al., STRUCTURE RESPONSE AND DAMAGE PRODUCED BY GROUND
VIBRATION FROM SURFACE MINE BLASTING, RI 8507, US Department of the
Interior, Bureau of Mines, 1980.

5. D. E. Siskind, et. al., STRUCTURE RESPONSE AND DAMAGE PRODUCED BY
AIRBLAST FROM SURFACE MINE BLASTING, RI 8485, US Department of the
Interior, Bureau of Mines, 1980.

6. C. H. Dowding, BLAST VIBRATION MONITORING AND CONTROL, Prentice-Hall,
Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1985.

Walt Sawruk
EQE International, Inc.
Shillington, PA