Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Wood Truss Reinforcement

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
     The force transfer problem that you describe is similar to the flitch
plate force transfer that has been a topic on the list recently and (last?)
year.  You could search the archives for flitch plate and probably get some
leads for more options.


-----Original Message-----
From: DAVID N. MARTIN, P.E <dnmme6622(--nospam--at)>
To: seaint(--nospam--at) <seaint(--nospam--at)>
Date: Monday, November 15, 1999 8:01 PM
Subject: Wood Truss Reinforcement

>I am trying to find a good reference for the reinforcement of existing
>wood  trusses. The trusses are about 57 years old and are consturcted of
>built up sections, with split ring connectors.The bottom chord is
>My idea to reinforce is to use steel plates or channels connected to the
>bottom chord to carry the excess if not the entire tension force. In
>particular I am looking for methods on how to transfer the force from
>the wood member to the new steel member. It would seem that to be
>effective the connections must be capable of transferring the forces
>into the steel sections.
>I have looked at "Wood Engineering and Construction Handbook, page 6.103
>to 6.106. This example covers sizing the new member but seems to be
>vague on the connection to the truss.
>Any reference books or other information or ideas would be appreciated.
>David N.Martin, P.E.