Fall Protection System - Loading

Recently, I was involved with the design of a fall protection system, for
personnel engaged in activities on top of trucks in petroleum product loading
rack.  I was asked to follow OSHA guidelines.  According to OSHA, "Lifelines
shall be secured above the point of operation to an anchorage or structural
member capable of supporting a minimum dead weight of 5,400 pounds".  Design
based on this requirement resulted in lot of structural steel, which seems to
me to be an overkill.  The project was on a fast track, so I could not do
enough research before sketching the details.

Now that the project is behind me (except for comments from all those
self-styled structural engineers, like "which idiot designed this ?") I can
get to the bottom of the design philosophy.  I am curious to know the basis
on which OSHA came up with their recommendation.  Yes, it is a dynamic
problem, but what assumptions or tests led to the 5,400 load?  Am I justified
in stressing the steel members to their yield limit, considering the loading
to be extraordinary?  Is it possible to get theoretical basis for the
recommendation etc.  I am looking forward to some lively discussions on the
topic.  Thanks, in advance.

Raj.