RE: Fall Protection System - Loading

Raj,

I, too have had problems designing to these requirements.  We had some
existing buildings that were being re-roofed and the contractor wanted
to use tie-offs.  We didn't have anything in the structure capable of
supporting the loads prescribed in OSHA.  Instead, the contractor
eventually used railing or one of the other options.  The bottom line
was that he saw the engineer as being unable to do something that common
sense says should be easy.

One interesting side issue, since there seems to be a concurrent thread
concerning cables...we tried using a long cable running parallel with
the edge of the building.  The workers were going to tie-off to it.  Bad
idea.  Just a small lateral force on a cable produced enormous end
reactions.  Try it sometime.  It got into an iterative process of 1) how
much does the cable elongate; and 2) what is the resulting geometry (of
the triangle).  Then with that geometry, what is the force in the cable
and how much does it elongate.  It got silly after a while.  It appears
a lot of sag would be required in the initial cable design just to make
it feasible.

Michael Ritter, PE