Re: Catenary

Dennis,

The problem you described is solved as an example in:

S. P. Timoshenko and D. H. Young, THEORY OF STRUCTURES, McGraw-Hill Book
Co., NY, NY, 2nd ed., 1965, pp. 33-39.

Here's another reference book which you might find useful if you have more
problems of this type because it comes with a PC based program for analysis
of cable structures.

P. Broughton and P. Ndumbaro, THE ANALYSIS OF CABLE AND CATENARY
STRUCTURES, Thomas Telford Services, Ltd., 1994.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Walt Sawruk
EQE International, Inc.
Shillington, PA

TEL 610-796-9080