Re: Shear Wall Design

I am a first year civil engineering graduate and I have a few general
questions about shear walls.

1.  It is my general understanding that using dead load to resist overturning
also increases the shear in plf on the wall, or else an element within the
wall will not be in equilibrium.

I have spoken to quite a few structural engineers about the topic and some
believe in it and others don't.  Maybe someone out there could provide some
insight.

Thanks,

Andrew Arnold
Arnold Engineering