Re: What does "credible" mean?

"Credible" is fairly subjective.  Depending on the code you are looking at,
the "credible" earthquake is probably something like a quake producing a
ground acceleration with a 2% chance of being exceeded in 50 years.  This
varies by code, and I can't remember off of the top of my head what the
1997 UBC corresponds to.  This boils down to a societal decision,
attempting to weigh the increasing costs of designing for larger quakes
against the cost of coping with the damages caused by them.  So, the codes
pick a level they feel is an appropriate and realistic compromise between
the two, and design for it.  Plus, "credible" sounds better than "a good
guess".

Paul Crocker