RE: Fall Protection System - Loading

>The workers were going to tie-off to it.  Bad
>idea.  Just a small lateral force on a cable produced enormous end
>reactions.  Try it sometime.
Anyone who can remember clotheslines knows about this one. God knows how
many times I tightened sagging clotheslines (plastic covered wire--not
rope) for my mother. I pull it up tight one weekend and  after a few
months of hanging wet sheets it'd drop 8-10 inches. I didn't dope out
what was doing it 'til after I'd learned about free body diagrams. Once I
saw video tape of a wrecker operator tipping an overturned (on its side)
car back on its wheels just by securing the tow cable to a frame member,
taking the slack out of the cable and giving the cable a sideways tug
with one arm. The car rolled upright just slick as glass.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw