From: BDWOLF123(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:BDWOLF123(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 4:59 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Shear Wall Design

Thankyou Dennis and Mark for your replies to my shearwall inquiries,

Now perhaps you are someone else can help with this one.

I am currently involved in an earthquake retrofit of an old masonry
building.
I have computed the design base shear using the static force procedure sec.
1630.2, and I have distributed the
forces according to 1630.5 eq. 30-15.  We have decided to use 5/8" plywood
sheathing to compliment the old sheathing.  Now I am computing diaphragm
shear stresses so that I can specify the nailing schedules.  Since I am
dealing with wood diaphragms I have chosen to use allowable stress design.
My
 question is: In section 1612.3, the load combinations specified have the
earthquake force E, divided by 1.4 (12-9, 12-10).  Does this mean that I can
take my computed force at the diaphragm level in question (from 30-15), and
divide it by 1.4 in order to compute my shear stress distributions for the
diaphragm?

Andrew
Arnold Engineering