RE: Shear Wall Design

From: NRoselund(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:NRoselund(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 9:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Shear Wall Design

Every plywood shear wall I design has a holddown at each end designed to
resist the total overturning force.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer

Nels,
A great example, but I have to admit that I rarely if ever apply a resisting
load to a wall. I tend to do what you do and design the hold down for the
total uplift on the wall regardless of the load above. I call it protection
and never really thought about the reasons as you so aptly explained.
And the Seismology Committee seem to think we need this convoluted mess they
derived to put us on the straight and narrow:o)

Dennis