Re: Shear Wall Design -- (Correction)

Andrew,

If you do the free-body diagram, you'll see that my statement, "however, no
practical uniform dead load will eliminate the zero shear at the edge
opposite the fulcrum, or keep the shear in the remainder of the wall from
exceeding the design uniform shear." is not correct.  Actually a uniform dead
load that provides a stability of two times the overturning will eliminate
the zero shear at the edge opposite the fulcrum.

Nevertheless, I stand by my practice of always providing holddowns.

Nels