Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: California SE exam

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Illinois' SE license is seperate from the PE.  The SE Act in Illinois is a
practice act.  It essentially means that you must be an SE to seal
structural drawings in Illinois, as well as to call yourself a structural
engineer in Illinois.  If you only do structural engineering work, then in
Illinois there is not much reason to get you PE except for reciprosity to
other states.  You only really need/want an SE for structural work.

Disclaimer:  This is only from my memory and since it seems the old memory
is going, it may not be totally accurate.  However, if someone REALLY NEEDS
an accurate accounting, I can dig up my SE act info (since I just took the
SE exam in Illinois).


At 01:37 PM 11/17/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Which states do license you as an SE without their PE?
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Yousefi, Ben [mailto:Ben.Yousefi(--nospam--at)]
>Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 1:23 PM
>To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)'
>Subject: RE: California SE exam
>First step is to get CA PE. Unlike some other states, Without PE you are not
>even eligible to take the SE.
>	-----Original Message-----
>	From:	Nicole Stoudt [SMTP:NSTOUDT(--nospam--at)MBAKERCORP.COM]
>	Sent:	Wednesday, November 17, 1999 1:08 PM
>	To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
>	Subject:	California SE exam
>	Fast question-
>	I was confused by the eligibility requirements for the SE exam on
>the CA website.  How many years experience do you need to take the exam in
>California if you have a BS, MEng, and EIT?  I am from out of state.
>	Thanks!