RE: Shear Wall Design / Bill@AllenDesigns

O.K., now that I have had my fun, I'll try to answer your question.

I don't know about "insight", but I can tell you how I design shear walls,
and you may not like the answer because it is not "cookbook".

First of all, I check my budget. If the budget is tight, I don't worry about
using the DL to resist the hold down forces. I just calculate f-sub-v * h
and go from there. If I have the budget, yes, I will use either .85 (now
0.90 or 2/3 for WL cases) * DL to resist overturning forces and not bump up
the shear wall stresses. Why? Well, number one, that's the way I was taught.
Two, I have not seen widespread documentation where shear walls have failed
because the design engineer neglected this facet in his/her free body
diagram. From what I understand, much to the disappointment of those
"clinical" structural engineers (i.e., academians), plywood shear wall
assemblies do not behave according to strict structural mechanics. You would
get a glimpse of this by reading APA Report 157. From my point of view, I
try (again, when I have the budge to work with) to be economical with
regards to hold downs but ensure I have a LOAD PATH FROM ROOF TO FOUNDATION.
More structures fail because an element was left out than if that element
was undersized.

Now, go ask daddy for a raise.

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E.