Re: Shear Wall Design / NOT "Bill@AllenDesigns"

I don't see how adding a holdown for total uplift is any different from
adding a holdown for net uplift. In the first scenario, you would have a
downward force at the end of the shearwall equal to the total uplift load
(your neglected dead load is still there at the top along with some live
load). In the second scenario, you have dead load on top and a holdown to
pull the net uplift force. In both scenarios there is a vertical force at the
boundary, and in between, to be transferred by vertical shear in the plywood.
Am I missing something? If I am, I did not draw a free body diagram.

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.