RE: Shear Wall Design

	I had already taken into consideration most of what advice was
offered, now
	The question still remains about the allowable stress design portion
in the
	Code (Sec. 1612.3).  Does anybody know if I may take my computed
lateral
	force at the diaphragm level in question (the force obtained from
the
	vertical distribution of my base shear) and divide it by 1.4 as the
load
	combination in 1612.3.1 implies (Eq. 12-9), in order to specify the
nailing
	schedules for my wood diaphragm?

Yes to dividing the load by 1.4 and No to using the load from vertical
distribution of base shear. Once you distribute the loads vertically you
need to plug that into eqn (33-1) to obtain the diaphragm design load.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA