RE: Exam US intention

Pablo:

You'll get a hundred replies to this one, but the net result is the same:

In each and every state of the U.S., and in its possessions, you must be
licensed by that state or territory to practice engineering in that state.
Someone who is licensed in one state may not practice engineering in
another, although having an existing license makes it far simpler to become
licensed elsewhere.

In every state and territory, the licensee becomes a "P.E." (stands for
"Professional Engineer"). In a very few states, such as California and
Illinois, the designation "S.E." (for "Structural Engineer") also exists. To
become an "S.E." one first must be a "P.E." in that state.

Commonly, one becomes a P.E. by passing TWO examinations. The first, an
eight-hour exam called the "Fundamentals of Engineering," goes over nearly
all the topics and subjects that one typically studies in an undergraduate
engineering school. One who successfully passes this examination is called
variously an "E.I.T." (or "Engineering In Training") or "E.I." ("Engineer
Intern"), depending upon the state. Being an "E.I.T." or "E.I." does not
bestow any special privileges, except that it signifies you have taken the
first step toward being a licensed "P.E."

The second examination is an eight-hour exam called the "Principles and
Practices of Engineering." It has various "flavors" corresponding to the
different engineering disciplines (such as "Civil," "Mechanical,"
"Electrical," etc.) To be eligible to take this examination, one typically
must go through a rigorous process of application, including getting letters
of reference from other P.E.s, "proving" that one has been performing work
as an E.I.T. that shows steady progress toward satisfactory experience,
submitting transcripts, etc.

Only after one's application is approved may one sit for the "P&P"
examination.

Once you have successfully passed this examination (and paid the requisite
fees to the state government), are you LICENSED as a Professional Engineer,
or "P.E."

As I understand it, BTW, the process in Canada is much the same, though I
believe they call it "Chartered Engineer"?

Anyway, I hope that this helps you somewhat to understand the process.