Re: AISC Floor plate bending capacity table

Regarding the ASD plate bending capacity table.

1) I have observed that the deflection calculations are based on fixed supports
(1wL**4/384EI).  I am not sure that the typical floor plates are designed or
installed to transfer fixed end moments to their supports, not to mention the
torsional loading on the supporting beam.  A more realistic basis would be
simple supports (5wL**4/384EI).

2) I hope that next year's new LRFD Manual will have a useful floor plate
selection table with more realistic strength and deflection limits as their
basis.  Charlie, are you listening?

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

"plec" <plec(--nospam--at)enter.net> on 11/17/99 11:58:08 AM