Re: Shear Wall Design/Bill

Bill,

I appreciate your comments on me working for my father, and I have already
taken all of what you have said into consideration.  My motivation for
working for my father is to save enough money for one year so that no more
student loans will be taken out when I return to school at UCSD in the fall
2000 to obtain my M.S. in Structural Engineering.  I looked at it as a good
oportuinity to make some money without explaining to every firm that I
interviewed with that I need a job but in a year....and that whole scenario.
In fact, I interviewed with a few large firms, and almost every firm
expressed concern about hiring me for one year and then who knows?  I grew
tired of explaining my position to every firm so when my father lost an
engineer, he offered me the positon.  It was all timing you could say.

As for the relationship between me and my fellow engineers, they are my
teachers as well as my superiors and I look up to them with a great deal of
respect for their seniority and experience.  And believe me, the boss is much
harder on me than anyone else in the office, and if I were to ask him for a
raise, he'd either laugh in my face or ask for his money back that he spent
to put me through school at Cal Poly, SLO.

Andrew Arnold, EIT
Arnold Engineering