Re: Galv Nails in P.T. Sole Plates

Paul-
I asked this question at the Wood Solutions Fair in Oct.  The consensus of the
panel (John Rose, a CBO, and some other engineers) was "don't worry about it".  In
forensic work it is not uncommon to encounter badly rusted (and weakened) nails
along exterior sills.  Usually it's caused by insufficient clearance to soil or
concrete.  Sheathing decay is also a problem.  If you've got 6" of clearance it
shouldn't be a problem (unless the sprinklers are poorly adjusted).  I've yet to
see anyone spec special fasteners, of course if you're using T1-11 siding you
should have HD nails regardless.
Chuck Utzman