Re: strong axis bending

The 4th edition of the Structural Stability Research Council book has the
formula for the buckling strength of long rectangular plates as:

   Fcr = k(c){pi^2 * E/[12 * (1 - nu^2)(b/t)^2]}

Figure 4.8 gives the values for k(c) for plates subjected to pure bending to
pure compression, however, one of the unloaded edges must be either simply
supported or fixed.

Fcr is the critical buckling strength and has to be reduced by an appropriate
factor of safety.  (IMO, a F.S. >= 5 would not be inappropriate.)

Actually, I wouldn't count on plates bending about the strong axis to have
any significant strength unless the compression edge is stiffened.

Hope this helps (but it probably doesn't).

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Raj wrote:

>>No, I am not looking for formula to calculate actual stresses, but to
determin e allowable stresses, taking into account the lateral torsional
buckling criterion etc.

Raj<<