Re: Standard of Care v Code

The code (i.e. UBC) is the law which engineers are required to follow, at
least they are expected to.  In my opinion, engineers are expected to produce
a design which exceeds the safety requirements spelled out in the code.  You
are  correct when you wrote that the code provides only minimal safety
guidelines.

The objective of a design is to produce a building that will meet the owner's
expectation.  I do not beleive that only following the letter of the code
will provide complete protection to the engineer.  In addition to exceeding
the code requirement, sound engineering judgment is imperatif.  That is when
the standard of care comes into play.
The standard of care is a subjective test based on a "reasonable prudent
person," in this case an engineer.  I do not see how you can "codify" that,
as you are suggesting.  The test is:  what would a resonable prudent engineer
have done in this situation? By the way, this test is appplied by the trier
of fact, whether judge, jury, or arbitrator.

George Hakim
geohak(--nospam--at)aol.com