Re: strong axis bending

Thank you, Roger,  Yes, rectangular section bending about strong axis do not
have much strength.  However, I am looking at a computer generated result of
a problem, wherein I am tempted to perform a manual check.  It deals with a
gusset plate design in a lug supporting a vessel, where the short segment of
the gusset will behave as a beam-column.  Thus after manual computation of
actual bending and axial stresses at the critical section, I had to perform
the checks per equation in Chapter "H'" of AISC manual.  And, that is where I
got stymied.

Incidentally, I don't have Galambos's book, but do you knoe if the formula
you have referred is in the classic book by Salmon & Johnson?

Raj.