Re: strong axis bending

Raj,

In Salmon & Johnson's third edition, the formula is on page 362, Chapter 6,
formula 6.14.28.  For combined bending and axial, the "k" is replace with
k(c) based on Bruce Johnston and Brockenbrough's book published for U. S.
Steel.  I will send you the name of the book tomorrow.  (The book is in the
office.)  It has various values for k(c) for various proportions of axial
load to moment.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Raj wrote:

>>Thank you, Roger,  Yes, rectangular section bending about strong axis do
not have much strength.  However, I am looking at a computer generated result
of a problem, wherein I am tempted to perform a manual check.  It deals with
a gusset plate design in a lug supporting a vessel, where the short segment
of the gusset will behave as a beam-column.  Thus after manual computation of
actual bending and axial stresses at the critical section, I had to perform
the checks per equation in Chapter "H'" of AISC manual.  And, that is where I
got stymied.

Incidentally, I don't have Galambos's book, but do you knoe if the formula
you have referred is in the classic book by Salmon & Johnson?

Raj.<<