From: Martin W. Johnson [mailto:MWJ(--nospam--at)eqe.com]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 1999 12:22 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: SEAOC seismology opinion regarding 10/Lw factor for calculating
rho

During the Sept 29 seismology meeting, the committee voted to submit a code
change proposal for the 2001 IBC Supplement No. 1, with the following
language:

"In light-frame construction, the value of the ratio of 10/Lw need not be
taken
greater than 1.0."

Please note that this is just a proposal, which is subject to possible
rejection
during upcoming ICC hearings.

Meeting minutes for the Sept. meeing will be posted to the web server
following
the upcoming Dec 3/4 meeting (they exist only in draft form at this time).

For engineers who are currently engaged in light-frame structural design,
SEAOC
can really only recommend that all engineers ALWAYS OBEY THE EXISTING
BUILDING
CODE, AS ADOPTED BY THE LOCAL JURISDICTION.  It is public law, and we cannot
recommend any other action.

Wishing you all a great Thanksgiving
Martin