RE: SEAOC seismology opinion regarding 10/Lw factor for calculating rho

I don't think it leaves an ambiguity regarding a diagonal brace since that is clearly covered under braces. Any diagonal brace counts as a brace. A chevron brace provided 2 braces. The length of the braced bay is of no significance, only the total number. Thus, a 4' long single brace proprietary frame would count as one brace. If it were a shear wall it would only count as 40% of a shear wall.

Mark E. Deardorff