HDG nails in PT lumber

A few days ago, Paul Reilly asked about people's experiences with
specifying hot-dipped galvanized nails in pressure-treated wood
construction, picking up an old thread on this subject, which relates to
a mysterious requirement in the 97 UBC. I think the responses were
generally in agreement that this was unnecessary for wood normally dry,
such as interior framing or exterior walls if sufficiently waterproofed
and protected from moisture. Chuck Utzman then posted a short tag
mentioning that, of course nails for T1-11 siding should always be spec'd
as HDG.
This got my eyebrows raised momentarily in alarm, thinking of how many
buildings I've designed here on the Big Island (Hawaii) without asking
for HDG nails. In rural areas of Hawaii, treated T1-11 siding (and PT
lumber) is the norm for 90% of residential construction, and is usually
acting as the shear-resisting wall system for the buildings. In some
parts of windward Hawaii, we get 200 inches of rain annually, so those
T1-11 systems are getting soaked a lot.
But then I thought about the reaction I'd have gotten from the
contractors if I HAD specified HDG nails. They'd have totally ignored it,
and built things the way it's been done for decades. In my region, I have
to consider a contractor to be pretty conscientious if they actually put
a nail in at 6" on center, instead of a nail in each T1-11 rib (which
most commonly here are grooved at 8 inches on center).
As nice an idea as it might be in a testing laboratory or a committee
room, I just don't think routinely specifying something as
labor-intensive as hand-nailing HDG fasteners for PT lumber contributes
enough to the life-span of the structure to justify the resulting battle
to be faced in the field. How hard nosed are you going to be when you do
your site-inspections and find improper nailing? Tell the framer to
renail the entire building?
On a related topic, someone also wrote in mentioning the disclaimer that
Simpson Strong-Tie has in their catalog regarding the use of their
zinc-plated connectors on treated wood (sorry I couldn't find the author
in my search). I asked what this meant to a Simpson tech rep during a
Technical Seminar they held here a couple months ago, and was told in a
suspiciously casual manner that I shouldn't worry about it too much
(whatever THAT meant. If it wasn't important, why then is it printed in
bold letters as a disclaimer in their catalog?) The brief explanation was
that they've seen corrosion in their connectors when used on wood still
wet with preservative, but that dry lumber would not normally induce a
problem. As if framers never work with wet wood or in wet weather. I
remember being quite irritated that such a prominent manufacturer would
so subtly back away from their product warranty. As if I'm supposed to
specify kiln-dried lumber framing and tented construction sites if I want
to use some of their hurricane ties or joist hangers.
I guess to be responsible professionals, we're supposed to specify
Everything to be hot-dipped and kiln-dried?
John Callen, SE
Hilo, Hawaii