Wood Designation Question

James F Fulton wrote:

>>What do the designations stamped "Hem-Fir" and "S-P-F" on stand for and
mean for purpose of wood design ?  I have an idea but cannot find this
discussed in the references I have. Thanks.<<

Jim,

These are designations for mixed species, i.e., lumber harvested from stands
of timber that have both, or all, of the species growing in it and it would
be uneconomical to separate them.

Hem-Fir is the grouping for lumber that may be Hemlock or a Fir.

S-P-F is for the grouping that may be Spruce, Pine or Fir.

Doug Fir - Larch is for the grouping that may be Douglas Fir or Larch.

WW is for an all encompassing group of western woods.

The species that are included in each of the mixed species designations is
shown on one of the front pages of the NDS.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona